February 9, 2008

Iki!

Iki means "see you later" in Lithuanian, but it's also the name of the grocery stores here. Little grocery stores are called ikiukas (maybe "See you in a tiny bit"), but no matter what, these stores are my favorite places in Lithuania. Maybe it's because I feel as if I am blending with the local Lithuanians. Going to a restaurant or a department store is interesting, but I am always with people who can talk to me in English! When I go to Iki, I can try to speak in Lithuanian, with the 3 phrases I know! It's amazing.

Today I went to ikiukas and as I approached the two automatic doors at the entrance, an older woman was standing in front of them looking confused. She said something in Lithuanian and the only word I caught was "Kaip" which means how. I understood that she was asking me how the doors opened! I stood in front of the doors to see if I could get them to open. When they opened, she said something to me and I smiled, nodded, and went on. I have no idea what she said BUT we connected! She talked to me as if I were Lithuanian, not as if I were a foreigner in her culture. This sweet woman made me feel so welcome, and yet she has no idea that her comments made this California girl feel loved.

I had one more lovely encounter today at ikiukas. In these stores the cashier does not talk to you, typically. They do not hand out smiley faces like Frank at Save Mart. And that's okay with me that they are not forced to interact with their customers. So today, when my cashier looked at me and said, "Laba Diena" which means "Good day" I think you all know how I felt. I felt like a person, not a customer. I realized how necessary stranger interactions are to a foreigner who just wants to belong!!!

So in conclusion, I hope that you will appreciate the daily encounters you have with strangers because it builds a community and makes the world a better place.

"You shall love your neighbor as you love yourself." -Matthew 22:39